Practiced since 1985 as a Civil Engineer predominantly in the traffic engineering field but also with land development and stormwater hydrology analysis experience. Experience includes technical activities and all levels of client contact, project management, and presentations before public officials.
- Benchmark worked with the Allentown Parking Authority, Allentown Police, City Staff, and PPL Center Staff to develop and implement a signage plan to direct traffic to the PPL Center and Area Parking Facilities.
- Serves as Chair of the Unsignalized Intersection Subcommittee of the Highway Capacity and Quality of Service Committee of the Transportation Research Board (National Science Foundation) which develops analysis methodologies for highway, pedestrian, bicycle and mass transit modes.
- Reviewed traffic impact studies on behalf of various municipalities. Insured study compliance with local ordinances, PennDOT guidelines, and accepted engineering practices.
- Prepared traffic impact studies for commercial and residential developers as well as public sector clients in Northampton, Lehigh, Monroe, Montgomery, Berks, and Lancaster Counties, in Pennsylvania.
- Prepared traffic signal permits for the installation of new traffic signals. These projects include the collection of existing traffic data, the preparation of plans indicating the physical elements of the proposed traffic signals, the design of the signal timing and phasing, and the documentation of the design and the final permit drawings to be executed by the local municipality.
- Conducted roadway sufficiency studies for traffic impact ordinances for townships in Northampton, Lehigh, and Berks County. These studies followed the guidelines from PA Act 209 of 1990 for the establishment of traffic impact fees to assess developers for transportation improvements.
- Designed plans and obtained PennDOT highway occupancy permits for numerous developments within Eastern Pennsylvania to provide for driveways, intersection improvements, and the location of utilities within state rights-of-way. Each plan set considered site access, horizontal and vertical geometry, utility location, stormwater conveyance, and maintenance and protection of traffic during construction.
- Designed roadway capacity and safety improvements for roadway improvement projects exceeding one half-mile in length. Projects included the preparation of right-of-way and construction plan sets and specifications meeting PennDOT standards.
- Conducted regional and corridor traffic studies for the New Jersey Department of Transportation. The studies considered new alignments as well as improvements to existing roadways. They included origin-destination studies, alternative operational analysis, preliminary designs, determination of environmental impacts, cost estimates, public involvement, and report writing.
- Provided testimony at land use and zoning hearings concerning traffic engineering and land development engineering at various municipalities within eastern Pennsylvania. Prepared land development plans for new development and redevelopment of properties within eastern Pennsylvania. These projects included site layouts, stormwater management, utility design, erosion control, and grading plans. These plans were presented to the reviewing agencies for review and approval and at public meetings.
- Provided expert witness civil engineering testimony in civil actions in Monroe County, Lehigh County and Northampton County Court of Common Pleas. These actions involved traffic engineering, stormwater hydrology, and land development issues.
- Various Project Management Cources, Villanova University
- M.C.E. – Civil Engineering – Villanova University, 1994
- B.S. – Civil Engineering – Lehigh University, 1985
- Road Safety Professional, 2018
- Project Management Professional, 2004
- Professional Traffic Operations Engineer, 1999
- Professional Engineer: PA, 1991; NJ, 1993; NY, 1998
- 1994 – Present, Benchmark Civil Engineering Services Inc., Allentown, PA
- 1992 – 1994, Acer Engineers and Consultants, Inc., Allentown, PA
- 1990 – 1992, The Newton Engineering Group, Wescosville, PA
- 1989 – 1990, PSC Engineers and Consultants, Inc., Allentown, PA
- 1985 – 1989, New Jersey Department of Transportation, Trenton, NJ
- 1994-1996, Lafayette College, Department of Civil Engineering, Easton, PA
- 1996-2000, Lehigh University, Department of Civil Engineering, Bethlehem, PA
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- ASCE Board of Directors – Region 2 Director (2004-2007)
- ASCE, Lehigh Valley Section (Pres. 1997-98, Board Mem. 1992-97 and 2005-09 ASCE Committee on Professional Practice 2009-2018
- Fellow, Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE)
- National Science Foundation Transportation Research Board (TRB) Highway Capacity Committee Unsignalized Int. (Chair 2012-Present) and User Liaison Subcommittees, TRB, Highway Capacity and Quality of Service Committee
Accepted as an Expert in Civil/Transportation Engineering
- City of Allentown, Lehigh Co.
- East Stroudsburg Borough, Monroe Co.
- Hanover Township, Northampton Co.
- Lehigh County Court of Common Pleas
- Monroe County Court of Common Pleas
- Middle Smithfield Township, Monroe Co.
- Muhlenburg Township, Berks Co.
- Northampton County Common Pleas Court
- Polk Township, Monroe Co.
- Spring Township, Berks Co.
- Stroud Township, Monroe Co.
- Upper Nazareth Township, Northampton Co.
- Weisenberg Township, Berks Co.
- Whitemarsh Township, Montgomery Co.
- Pocono Township, Monroe Co.
Awards, Presentations & Publications
- Speaker, 2009 Transportation Engineering and Safety Conference, 2009, Case Study Comparing HCS and Synchro with Multiperiod Analysis, 2010 Highway Capacity Manual Upcoming Changes
- Engineer of the Year, Lehigh Valley Chapter, PA Society of Professional Engineers, 2005
- Instructor, Maryland Transportation Technology Transfer Center, Highway Capacity Analysis including Highway Capacity Manual and HCS-2000, April 2001
- “Tractor-Trailer Reverse Turning Movement Path” Institute of Transportation Engineers – ITE Journal, October 1996
- Young Engineer of the Year, Lehigh Valley Chapter, PA Society of Professional Engineers, 1994
- Instructor, Lehigh Valley Section ASCE P.E. Review Course, 1993-1998
- New Jersey Department of Transportation Achievement Award, 1988
Continuing Education (1999-Present)
- Villanova University, Various Master’ Certificate in Project Management Courses
- Various Webinars concerning Project Management and Highway Capacity
- Annual TRB Meeting, Washington, D.C., 2008 to Present
- Summer Meeting TRB Highway Capacity and Quality of Service Committee, 2008 to Present “Leadership Management Training,” Dale Carnegie
- “Timing Traffic Signals Using TEAPAC, PASSER, TRANSYT, and CORSIM,” University of Wisconsin – Madison
- Lehigh Valley Chamber of Commerce, Various Committees (2002 – Present), Chair Transportation Committee (2011-2017)
- Alternate Member – City of Allentown Zoning Hearing Board (1997- 2006)
- Member, Light of Christ Lutheran Church, Bethlehem, PA